Probiotics may be your next tool for stronger teeth!!!
Several microbes like bacteria, fungi, and viruses thrive in our bodies and outnumber our own body cells by almost ten times. For a long time, the role of gut microbes in improving overall health had been in focus. But in recent times, microbes residing in the oral cavity have come into spotlight. Oral health is thought to be affected not just by our lifestyles and nutrition but also by the type of bacteria present in our mouths and guts.
The oral cavity is rich in bacteria with about 700–1000 bacterial species spread on the tongue, teeth, gums, inner cheeks, palate and tonsils. Of these, about 20% are Streptococci. An imbalance in the oral microbes, can cause dental problems and diseases. Having the right probiotics can reduce your chances of developing dental diseases. Ever wondered how?
- Consumption of probiotics containing Streptococcus salivarius can improve oral health
- Certain bacteria in the gut, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, can also control the growth of oral microbes and improve oral health
- Probiotics can directly interact with dental plaques and manage them
- Probiotic bacteria compete with the disease-causing bacteria, for space and nutrition
- They can increase immunity and boost the defenses in the oral cavity against pathogens
- Some probiotics have wound healing power which is beneficial in managing dental problems
Probiotic benefits for managing dental issues
A probiotic has double benefits, it can change your oral microbial ecology and be beneficial in management of several dental issues. Studies have shown probiotic benefits in treatment of the periodontal diseases, reducing gum bleeding, dental caries and dental plaques. Not just this, probiotics also freshen-up your breath and prevent foul odor. Your dentist too, can help you choose the right probiotic for good oral health.
Probiotics are not just great for your teeth and oral health but also offer several health-promoting benefits. So, if you are suffering from any dental issues, keep your probiotic intake high and continue flashing your sparkly smile.